Headache is a common complaint in most people. There are 2 types of headaches: primary and secondary. Primary headaches are migraine, cluster and tension headaches. Secondary headaches are caused by an underlying disorder such as brain tumour, infection or injury. Tension headaches are the most prevalent type, afflicting men and women at some point in their lives. Most headaches are triggered by emotional, stress, environmental, chemical and food factors.
There are many over-the-counter headache pain relief medications. However, they don’t cure headaches and are not without side effects. Over time, any medication can lose its effectiveness if taken too frequently.
Natural alternatives to headache pain relief are just as effective if you know the cause of your headache. However, if you suffer from migraine, cluster or any other serious types of headache, natural headache remedies may not help.
Here are some of the most common natural headache remedies.
1. Take a hot bath. The hot water helps to release contracted muscles and generally relaxes the whole body, thus relieving tension headaches.
2. Exercise can relieve headaches that are caused by stress. Jogging, swimming and taking a brisk walk will improve blood circulation, release tension and relax your body.
3. Many headaches are caused by dehydration, which causes muscle contraction. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day is recommended, not only to prevent and relieve headaches but essential to maintaining general well-being.
4. Hot or cold compress is great for relieving allergy, sinus and caffeine headaches.
5. Some oils such as lavender, eucalyptus and peppermint can relieve tension headaches.
6. Acupuncture or acupressure is a commonly used to treat stress or chronic headaches.
7. Massage is effective for relieving muscle tension in the head, neck and shoulders, and reducing stress. It can help to relieve tension headaches in some people.
8. Establish regular sleeping hours and get sufficient amount of sleep every day. The lack of or too much sleep may trigger headaches.
9. Poor posture can put a strain on your neck. Don’t sit, stand or work in one position for long periods of time. Good posture places minimal strain on your muscle, ligaments and bones cefalea verona mal di testa.
10. Avoid bright lights if they cause headaches to you. Staying in a room with minimal lighting can provide relief to headache pain.
11. Avoid foods that trigger your headaches to prevent future attacks. Some common food suspects are chocolate, red wine, nuts and cheese.
12. Reduce your caffeine intake.
Different natural headache remedies work for different people, so you need to experiment to find out which ones suit you best. If you have recurring headaches or they are very painful, it is best to consult with a doctor.